28 Haziran 2019 Cuma

TNT POW Reports: Turks in Greek Hands (1920-1923)/Part XIV

//Ed. Note. This POW vividly relates the brutal torture he
experienced at Kütahya for 10 months, before being sent
to the White Fortress in Salonica, court martial in Greek-
occupied Edirn and on to Athens and the island of Crete.//

a similar report click here for Part X of this series, about
an Ottoman Gendarmerie officer imprisoned by the Greek
army in Gemlik.

kütahya haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
The writer battled pro-Greek bandits around Keles, southeast
of Bursa, and was imprisoned at Kütahya.

The statement of Firuz Bey, who was at the Keles area command:

From the time I was assigned to the Keles area command I endeavored to 
perform my leadership duties and with my team I worked in the Kocaeli region.
  
I was engaged in a clash with about 300 rebels who had been assembled by 
Tavşanlılı Kabakçı Salih Efe, who served Greek interests, and Topal Saaduddin, 
a well-known bandit from Işıklar village in Orhaneli.  An 8-hour battle ended 
with me being taken prisoner.  Our arms were bound as the rebels took us to 
Kütahya.  

On 26 September 1921 they delivered me to the Greek occupation command.  
After we were all thoroughly beaten with rifle butts  they stripped me and put 
me in jail.  On the second night of my incarceration I was brought to the HQS 
and beaten non-stop for 3 hours.  From where I was I could hear bitter cries of 
“God help me!” from someone being beaten with a club.  I began to count the 
number of blows and after reaching 700, I asked who was that was being 
beaten by watch-stander Kurşunlulu Petro.  My friends told me they were 
Dağıstanlı Mehmed and Bursalı Osman.  

edirne dedeağaç selanik haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
After Kütahya, this POW was sent to Salonica (Thessaloniki), left,
Dedeağaç (Alexandroupoli), right - on the shore, and then to Edirne,
upper right.


Every night I was beaten by the guards to the point where I could neither stand 
nor sit.  All I could do was lean against the wall and accommodate myself to the 
cold of the stone dungeon.  Midnight passed.  Following the sound of the bat 
blows, I heard a very bitter and soul-rending voice.  Even as the voice gradually 
diminished and became silent, the blows continued with all their violence. 
little later the hatch of the dungeon opened and something was thrown onto 
the  floor.  Then the hatch closed again.   My marrow froze and my jaw locked 
from fright. I couldn’t see who it was in the dark but I assumed that the poor 
fellow was dead.  Two hours later this unfortunate came to and began to moan 
deeply.  I later found out that he was Kütahyalı Değirmenci Bekir.  Both he and 
his son-in-law had been beaten all night.  

As the light seeping in through the spaces in the corridors  signaled  the happy 
news that there was a break in the torture, I was able to see the blood from 
Bekir collecting on the ground.  He could not speak. He could only moan. 
dragged  myself over to him.  Battered in front and back, this victim of cruelty 
had been cut up all over.  The blood that flowed continually from a cut on his 
foot made by a ‘kasatura’ knife, began to coagulate.  My efforts to stem the 
bleeding with my depleted body went for nought.  Soon, 4 Greek soldiers came 
down to the cellar and took poor Bekir out by his bloody arms.  Since there 
were no beatings during the day, our agitation diminished until evening but, 
with the darkness, the time of calamity for us came again.  

The nights seemed to stretch on like years, with the deathly silence broken 
only by the moans of the tortured.   The dawn that awakened everything 
allowed the bodies battered by blows  to lie upon the broken up stone floor 
that was soiled with blood.   One night a dead victim was thrown down next to 
me and I learned that it was Raiders Commmander Captain Osman.  After lying 
next to me for half an hour, his body was moved to an unknown place.  
remained in this torture chamber for 60 days.  I must mention my companions 
in this tragedy, Hoca Ahmed Hulusi Efendi from Turgut and Halil Efendi from 
Crete.  Hulusi Efendi was blinded in one eye from a blow and both of Halil 
Efendi’s arms were left crippled.  

athens crete map ile ilgili görsel sonucu
  The POW's horrific journey continued to Athens and Crete.


During the 10 months I stayed in Kütahya the situation for my co-religionists was 
quite horrific, as our bodies were continually ripped from being beaten with barb 
wire.   Subsequently, I was transported to Bursa and 2 months later to Salonica.  
I cannot describe the torture I experienced along the way and in Beyaz Kale 
(White Fortress) up until 25 September.  While I was being transported to court 
martial in Edirne, I was attacked by deserters and guards who wanted to kill me.  
I was only saved because of the intervention of a Bulgarian soldier.  At the 
Dedeağaç station they killed a Moslem and at the Sofulu station beat one of 
our co-religionists to death as they looted two wagons of melons.  In Edirne I 
was held for 5 days with 84 people in a 10-person room, without light or air. 
Nor were we given food or water.  There were two gas cans for us to relieve 
ourselves but the putrid smell caused many, many to pass out.  On the sixth 
day we were taken to Mora Yenişehir and after staying there for a while we 
went to Lucia camp (Athens), and subsequently we were transported to Kandia 
town on Crete.  

//END of PART XIV//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder