14 Haziran 2019 Cuma

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part LXXIV

//Ed. Note: The Russian Revolution in Petrograd/St.
Petersburg is ramping up and Fuad Bey even hears that
the Russian camp commander will set the POWs free
(in bold below.)  Nevertheless, Fuad Bey is still 
preoccupied by the state of his friendship with Halis.//

russia march 1917 ile ilgili görsel sonucu



16 March 1917 Friday
The weather is still overcast but the cold isn’t so bad. News: as we had 
heard yesterday, all of the ministers in Petrograd have been imprisoned, 
100,000 soldiers have taken up arms. The police and Gendarmerie have 
joined them. The Czar has escaped to an unknown place. It seems that
the rebels have won the day…the outcome is still unknown…
today the new Assistant Commander came and told the ustarşi 
(Russian supervisor) to set us free. 

I was faced with an odd problem today,as follows: Ethem wrote me a 
long note supposedly because I looked at him with a long face and at 
the end of it he says an odd thing: ‘the mountain man is coming, chasing 
away the man in the garden.’ As soon as I saw it I felt badly because 
these words really made me mad and I got angry. I called Halis and said 
‘this is the second time Ethem has done something like this. I don’t 
understand anything from what he’s written. If you really are a close 
friend of his you should tell him the truth because I don’t want to come 
between two friends. Otherwise, give him a harsh response.’ Halis 
started to say something like he sees only me as a dear friend and tht he 
had an old and unbreakable friendship with Ethem but nevertheless he 
would respond to Ethem’s words.  He drafted a refutation but all of a 
sudden he fell into a deep silence, forgetting about the refutation. This 
was a mystery.

17 March 1917 Saturday
The sky is still overcast. It’s rather cold, too. Today Müştak and Şevket 
moved to our house from Malaşova…Burhan and Fahri went from our 
house to there. I wrestled with yesterday’s problem again today. I wanted 
to understand the truth. When Halis said something (that he was shaken 
up because he’s close with me and prefers me to Ethem) and then tried 
to alter it, this completely shook me up. Using strong words, I said that 
there should be no hypocricy. Halis responded by assuring me tht I was 
his only close friend but he requested that the refutation that he would 
write not contain harsh words, in light of his old relationship with Ethem. 
He asked me sheepishly to let him forego this. I didn’t press the issue and 
we solved the problem with a refutation written in an advisory manner. 
Nevertheless, I was hurt by this to some degree. I was also mad that Halis 
was gloomy for a while after the problem had been solved…

I screamed mightily because of a nightmare that befell me at night. In the 
dream my father sent two letters, one to my brother and one to his friend. 
He wrote another thing, like a letter, to someone else for me. My name 
was written in blue above a word that was scratched out there. When I 
asked someone if he was my father I got strange answers. Afraid that he 
may have died, I  woke up. I saw Halis in the dream too. It seemed that 
we were hugging each other to confirm our friendship.

18 March 1917 Sunday
The sky is still cloudy. It’s rather cold. News: the revolt in Petrograd 
continues to spread contagiously all over. But this time the rebesls are in 
the driver’s seat. In fact, the Czar’s brother Pronovich Alexander has 
been put in his place. Because of the ongoing rebellion in the Caucasus 
all the police have been sent there…good…the mayor and 17 despotic
people have been removed from  Vetluga and Captain Leyipsan, who 
watches over us, has assumed control of the city’ property and the 
military command. Our army has raided a Russian army command 
center in the Caucasus and seized a wounded general.

Today I collected some money to close out the deficit existing from an 
old problem. During the day two fellows from Çerkifa house came to 
visit. At night we drank one of Mehmet Bey’s teas in the small room. 
Halis was still a bit gloomy today. Anymore I get mad at him for this 
and feel badly.

//END of PART LXXIV//


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder