11 Haziran 2019 Salı

TNT POW Reports: Turks in Greek Hands (1920-1923)/Part VIII

//Ed. Note: This POW was seized by the Greeks near 
Afyonkarahisar, escaped, but was recaptured and force-
marched to Uşak.  He was transported to Izmir but does 
not relate any details beyond that.//

afyonkarahisar uşak haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu


The statement of Mehmed, son of Osman, of (Afyon)Karahisar

I was taken prisoner in Çatalçeşme near (Afyon)Karahisar on 27 March 
1921.  40 members of our company and 50 people from Çatalçeşme 
village were made prisoners.  We were left in İnas village under the 
supervision of 25 bayonet-wielding guards.  At about 4 o’clock in the
morning, the guards were asleep and there was a Greek camel brigade 
near us so, risking death, I took a sack of straw from the brigade and 
escaped.  

I reached Sesek vilage.  I wanted to get to my own army’s location but 
they wouldn’t leave me alone.  I pretended that I wanted to bring the 
straw to my animals and they said that they would be going to my village
tomorrow.  But I didn’t go to the village.  Thinking that there might be 
soldiers there,  I sat in a ditch alongside the road all night.  Early in the 
morning I saw a fellow from one of the surrounding villages and I asked 
him for a ride to Karahisar in his horse cart.  He agreed and I changed my 
clothes before arriving in Karahisar.  

After spending a time in my home there, a Jewish enemy who knew me 
and had seen me with my commander informed on me and I was seized.  
The Greeks said I was an officer but I denied this.  Nevertheless, they held 
me there for a while, along with 470 others.  Toward evening they forced 
us to march, hungry and thirsty.  We were barefooted and without clothes 
because they had taken all our belongings and sold them to the local 
populace.  Along this horrific journey there were 15 people whose 
strength gave out an they were bayonetted to death by the guards or 
beaten so badly they couldn’t continue.  

battles of inönü 1921 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Afyonkarahisar is about at the eastern extent of the red Greek
area.  This POW was captured while the Second Battle of 
İnönü was underway at İnönü, further to the north (23 March-
April 1921), just west of Eskişehir.


We walked for 18 hours over 3 days to Uşak, where the central 
commander put a gun to my chest and made me swear to tell the truth.  
I was asked how many cannons our army has, how many machine guns, 
how many soldiers and how many weapons.  I claimed I wasn’t a soldier 
and pointed out that I had been seized by them in my home.  I told them 
I had no connection to the military at all.  They didn’t believe me and 
inflicted 150 lashes on me.  The commander got carried away to the point 
that he kicked my arm, which even now is still maimed.  

After being beaten I was imprisoned in a toilet for 7 days and the 
commander, in his greed, even took my 32 liras. They even took cigarette 
papers.  I was given no food or water while I was imprisoned but they 
poured buckets of water on me during the nights.   After these 7 days they 
brought me to a mosque, where they again accused me of lying and put 
me in front of a firing squad.  I was given a reprieve but transported to 
Izmir, where I was seized by the Gendarmerie because word had been 
passed to them that I was an officer.  I was given no bread and only got 
something to eat by begging for it.  I had previously been taken prisoner 
by the English, but this was far worse.

second battle of inönü 1921 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
A year later, in 1922, the Turks launched major attacks on
Afyonkarahisar, on their way to Izmir, which was taken by
the Turks in September 1922.

Question: Do you know the names of those who were killed by bayonet 
while on the road?

Answer: No, I don’t know because they said they had come from Ankara.  
I only knew them as Ahmet and Mehmet.  I don’t know their hometowns 
or their personal particulars.

Q: Will you sign your statement?

A: I sign my statement.

Police officer M. Celaluddin (statement-taker)
Mehmet, owner of the statement

//END of PART VIII//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder