26 Haziran 2019 Çarşamba

TNT POW Reports: Turks in Greek Hands (1920-1923)/Part XIII

//Ed. Note:  This POW's report is unique - he was captured
and transported to camps in Greece with his wife and child,
but the child died in Thessaloniki (Salonica).// 

bursa yunan işgalı 1922 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Greek soldiers with local Bursa children in front of the Bursa
municipal building in March 1922. The Turkish Army 
liberated Bursa on 11 September 1922.


Captain Tahir Nadi’s Statement:

A number of soldiers from the entourage of Gendarmerie Commander 
Papaerki raided my house on 29 August 1922 and without letting me get 
dressed – I was taken in my nightshirt – I was brought to the occupation 
command office.  Without saying a word, the chief of staff beat me 
continually for four hours and then I was thrown in the basement. 
stayed there for 4 days without food or water and I was prevented from 
sleeping as they chanted “we will take you for execution”.  

On the fourth day, when I was brought to the Gendarmerie office I 
found my wife there with our 6-month-old child in her lap.  Three 
women and their children, who lived in the same house as us, were 
brought, as well.  After we were each interrogated for hours,  they 
took me to the Tahtakale medrese (religious school in Bursa).  

The degradation and the rifle butt blows inflicted by the Greek soldiers 
I encountered along the way and in the custody house in were beyond 
unbearable.   28 people, who like me had been condemned to death, 
were stuffed into a room that could accommodate 5.  Then I was stripped.  
The day I was removed from the dungeon my arms were tightly bound 
and I was included with about 800 others,  who were all bound, in front 
of the old government house.  I was at the head of the column, naked and 
barefooted, and my wife, with the child in her arms although they were 
bound, and a sack under her arm, was at the back of the column. 

 bursa mudanya haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu

We walked until morning and came to Mudanya, where we boarded onto
a ship.  We were prodded by rifle butts into the holds and the hatches 
were shut.  The interior of the ship was as hot as Kerbela and a glass of 
water cost 25 francs.  I was little more than a skeleton when I set foot on
land at Salonica.  We were transported to Profit İliya Prison. While I was 
kept naked and manacled in misery in this new prison, my wife could 
not bear the hardship and difficulties  so she was put in a hospital.  My 
child was turned over to the Islamic Community for care.  

The day after we were transported to the Beyaz Kale (White Fortress), it 
was made known that we would go to Athens.  I had to find out about the 
condition of my wife and son. When the response I received was “your 
wife has yellow fever.  We will send her later.”, I resisted the order and 
was put in with 30 other people, whose cases would be heard over there. 

  white fortress salonica 1920 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
The White Fortress of Thessaloniki 
(Salonica)

A week after the prisoners were moved I learned that my child had died.  
My appeal to attend his funeral was denied.  One day, together with my 
wife and 3 others, we were put into a freight train wagon and transported
to Larrisa.  When the prisoner officers at the garrison there saw my 
wife’s desperate condition they contacted the Larissa muftu (Moslem 
religious leader) and he signed as a guarantor so she could be moved to 
his house.  The situation of the soldiers held prisoner there was quite 
deplorable.  They were continually beaten in the stables where they 
were housed.  They were degraded and transported to work at forced 
labor from morning till evening.  There were those who died from the 
blows they suffered. 

larissa greece map ile ilgili görsel sonucu
The writer and his ill wife were transported by train from 
Thessaloniki to Larissa (red dot).

//END of PART XIII//


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder