türkçe links to original Turkish article
(Sabah Newspaper, 18 May 2015)
Zeyrek Camii - former Byzantine monastery-turned-mosque
The dilapidated appearance of the buildings adjacent to the
historic Zeyrek Mosque in Fatih, Istanbul, one of the
symbolic works of the Eastern Roman Empire and also
known by its former name, Pantocrator Monastery, are being
restored to a state worthy of an historic site.
After Aya Sophia, the complex is the second most important
historic area remaining from the Eastern Roman period. In
addition, the roads and sidewalks in the area are being
redesigned. The project is being undertaken by the Istanbul
Municipal Urban Design Directorate and all aspects will
conform to the architecture of the Zeyrek Mosque.
The first section of the historic monastery was built at the
behest of Empress Irene, the wife of Eastern Roman
Emperor John Komnenos, in the 12th century. A while
later two more churches were built here, as well. After
the conquest of Istanbul by the Turks in 1453, the monastery
was turned into a medresse.
Subsequently, the building became a mosque and a portion
of it is still used as a mosque today.
Where is Zeyrek Mosque in Istanbul?