19 Ocak 2019 Cumartesi

TNT British Empire Edition: Turkey-India Rail Route (1871-1872)/Part V/FINAL

//Ed. Note: The British idea of building a railway across
Ottoman lands to the Persian Gulf in 1871-72 never 
subsequently materialized, at least as a British project.
However, this compilation of commentaries from British
envoys around the region is striking in its thoroughness
and its very "Victorian British English" tone, as 
evidenced by the prefaces written by two consuls who 
provided maps along with their commentaries - when 
Britannia ruled both the waves and the world.
 
turkey-india rail report  <-- click here for the entire 
report.//

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

No.16.
Consul Taylor to Earl Granville.-(Received February 17.)

My Lord, Erzeroom, January 8, !872.

I HAVE the honour to forward, as inclosure No.1 to this despatch, the 
Report called for in Lord Enfield's Circular of August 25, 1871, 
relative to steam communication between England and India by the 
Euphrates Valley.

Your Lordship will, I trust, excuse me if my remarks have not entirely
been confined to reporting on that line solely, as also, if some of them 
should be considered too free, as being· beyond my competence and 
in a manner foreign to the subject upon which Her Majesty's Consuls 
have been called upon to report. Although the Report is directed to be
made as complete as possible without reference to extra inclosures, 
it occurred to me that a rough index map, illustrative of the different 
routes pointed on it, nearly all of which the liberality of Her Majesty's
Government have enabled me to visit and travel over, might be 
useful as directly explanatory.

I therefore prepared one, and now forward it as inclosure No. 2. It 
is reduced from Kieppert's latest map on half the scale he has employed.
I must state, however, that the map inclosed, though copied from my 
rough and therefore unpresentable sketch, is the work of Bedros Effendi
Moomjian, an Armenian, the talented and able Turkish Agent for 
Foreign Affairs here, and, therefore, it would be some satisfaction to 
me if his co-operation in this matter was in some way acknowledged 
by your Lordship through Her Britannic Majesty's Embassy, or
otherwise, to the Porte.

I have, &c.
(Signed) J. G. TAYLOR.


















Above is the western Anatolia portion of Consul Taylor's 
map.  Starting points are Istanbul, upper left, and Izmir, 
center left.  Below is the eastern portion which includes
Iraq up to Kerkuk.


















-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------



No. 18.
Consul-General Wood to Earl Granville.-(Received January 23.)

My Lord, Tunis, Jannary 15, 1872.

I HAVE the honour to acknowledge the receipt of your Lordship's 
Circular despatch of the 25th of August, 1871, acquainting me that 
information being desired for the use of a Committee of the House of 
Commons on the subject of commumcation with lndia through Turkey
by the Euphrates Valley route, your Lordship is of opinion that 
certain of Her Majesty's Consuls, having served in parts of Turkey
which would be on or near the line of communication, mig·ht be able
to furnish valuable Reports on the subject.

Having had occasion, in the execution of directions from the late 
Lord Ponsonby, Het Majesty's Ambassador at Constantinople, to travel
more than once through Asia Minor, the Valley of the Euphrates, and 
that of the River Tigris to Bagdad, I venture to submit as full a Report 
as I am able, in obedience to your Lordship's instructions, comprising:

1. An itinerary of the several routes which I followed; the distances in 
hours; the population approximatively of each locality; its products, 
manufactures, and local traffic; the nature of the soil, as well as a 
general aspect ·of the country.

2. A map or sketch of the different routes by which I travelled; and
Although I did not fail in my journeys to note wnatever appeared of 
interest, yet 1 may be permitted to state that as at that period a 
railway communication with the British dependencies in the East 
was not in contemplation, my observations were less minute than 
they would otherwise have been; and I therefore crave indulgence 
for whatever might be found defective in my statement on the subject.

I have, &c.
(Signed) RICHARD WOOD.



Consul Wood's map showing proposed rail route from 
Istanbul to Babylon, south of Baghdad.

//END of PART V/FINAL//




Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder