14 Ocak 2019 Pazartesi

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part XI


TARÄ°HÄ° HARÄ°TA
This map of Erzurum city was drawn in 1904 by a 
Captain named Fuat Bey.  In February 1916, our Fuad 
Bey and his fellow soldiers were fleeing from the 
advancing Russians, east of the city. 


1-2 February  1916 (no entries)

3 February  1916
We’ve been staying in Alibezirgan. Now and then there have been 
skirmishes with the enemy. Over the past day the enemy has advanced 
somewhat. I received a letter and some other things from my father.

4 February 1916
Because of the enemy’s advance yesterday the regimental command 
was moved to Sığırlı and the veterinarian and I settled into a room in a 
dilapidated house. The soldiers are wrecking the place, taking the wood
to the rear.


5 February  1916
We stayed in Sığırlı. The enemy attacked at night and took Alibaba 
Mountain, along with some prisoners from the 8th Company. Ziya of 
Tefenni became a first lieutenant (I know him from school).  At night 
Salih and I went hither and yon with the commander's order, passing it
to the battalions.

6 February 1916
At mid-day we moved the command to the southeast of Güllü under 
the occasional cannon fire. I am in a tent with Doctor Nuri and the 
veterinarian. The enemy is bombarding Güllü incessantly.

7-8 February 1916 (no entries)

9 February 1916
We’ve been southeast of Güllü and no incidents. The 2nd Battalion 
was only able to hold Danagöl Mountain for two days and the first day
 I toured it a bit with Division Chief of Staff Abdullah. We couldn’t find 
Danagöl Mountain as it is shown on the map (because the map was not 
good). But quite a bit of time passed.

10 February 1916
The enemy made a sudden attack in the morning and took Danagöl 
Mountain. Our forces defended in a place on the mountain’s skirts. If 
the enemy launches another attack our forces will spill into the river. 
Fortunately, this position wasn’t defended very long. Finally, the entire 
2nd Battalion joined the battle. Cannoner Rıfkı’s cannons gave a good 
account of themselves. Late in the afternoon our forces launched an
attack and the enemy ran away. There were more than 400 enemy losses, 
almost all of them at the hands of our machine gun. I took quite a few 
shots myself. Salih was wounded at mid-day and Mustafa from the 1st 
Battalion was killed. The commander of the 1st Battalion was seriously 
wounded and later died. There are many wounded. In the evening we 
went to Danagöl Mountain. Bodies, like doomsday.

11 February 1916
Today was calm. We remained southeast of Güllü.

erzurum şehir haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Güllü is located southeast of Nene Hatun, far right, but is
not shown on this map.

12 February 1916
The battle is continuing at the17th Division’s front, on the plain to our 
left. It was especially fierce at night. I left the 3rd Battalion (which is 
located next to the 17th Division) and went to the commander’s tent 
200 meters on the left to get a report.  Then we suddenly heard rifle fire 
from the right, our side of Danagöl. It continued for a while and then 
stopped. Then Major Abdullah summoned me and I came. The enemy 
took Danagöl and our soldiers  spilled into the river. We gathered the 
soldiers who came right away. I left the command post to go to the 
newly-designated line, accompanied by the 1st Battalion. I walked 
quite a way with Şerif and Hakkı. We walked until morning. There’s
fog and light snow falling. We can see the mountains in the light of the
 three beams the enemy has projected. Near morning we reached 
Çeperli village and moved a bit beyond. Morning came and we
waited there.

13 February 1916
The regimental commander had me running hither and yon again in 
the morning.  It was mid-day. While I was taking an order to the 3rd 
Battalion commander my horse could not keep its footing and I
rolled on an ıcy spot. My left foot was badly hurt. With great 
difficulty I found the 3rd Battalion commander, passed the order to 
him and came back. I began to rest and to bandage my foot. It was 
really hurting…calamity upon calamity.  The remainder is in the 
other notebook.

kibrit kutusundaki sarıkamış-sibirya günlükleri ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Fuad Bey finished the first notebook of his diary at this 
point and began the second, which he would continue 
writing in until March 1917.  Fuad Bey returned to Istanbul
from Russia in September 1918.


14 February 1916 Monday
Morning came. A bit after breakfast I dozed off lightly. Noontime
came.  There were neither any doctors nor a  veterinarian in this 
shabby house on this sullen day.  All of a sudden someone came 
into where I was and shouted that the Russians had struck.  
Startled, I got up and limped outside.  I saw that the Russians had 
taken Yıkık mountain.  Our cannons opened fire fiercely on them. 
The Russians fled but we didn’t  retake it.  Evening came.  When 
I lay down I was thinking  that we would pass this night under great
peril.  There were two hours until morning when the battalions 
gathered.  Sectors were defined.  Together with the headquarters, 
we evacuated this Çeperli  village. Since the horse I was riding was
so weak it couldn’t  carry me up the hill.   I had to walk on my 
wounded leg. It hurt badly and no one helped me.  With great 
difficulty I made it to the earthwork at the hollowed-out summit.
A bit later morning came. 

//END of PART XI//

Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder