25 Ocak 2019 Cuma

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part XVI

//Ed. Note: Life in Sarıkamış prison camp continues for
Fuad Bey, as he awaits transport to another camp.//

kibrit kutusundaki sarıkamış-sibirya günlükleri ile ilgili görsel sonucu


6 March 1916 Monday
Contrary to habit, I got up early and looked at the beauty the dawn 
had spread all around. Sarıkamış’s perimeter and surroundings are 
filled with beautiful forests. I recalled the past a bit. In the late 
afternoon two big Russian prisoners, both officers – from among 
those same prisoners – visited us. We talked about this and that,
unimportant things. A Russian barracks guard named Samun who
knows Georgian and Russian well translated for us. So then, after 
translating the Russian to Georgian, Hurşid, who is essentially a 
Georgian and knows Georgian, relates it to us in Turkish.

Anyway, these Russian officers asked my name and they understood 
that I know French. I wrote the Turkish alphabet fro one of them. 
After dinner this Russian officer invited me to their room and I went. 
There were five officers and a woman there. Four of them were officer
candidates and one was a captain – the woman belonged to this captain.
Since the woman knew a little French I spoke with her. But really it
was sign language. Ridiculous. She didn’t know the language well and
I was just about pantomiming myself. She asked foolish questions. 
They asked about the war and some other things. The woman was 
beautiful, her words were flirty but I didn’t like her. We passed quite 
a bit of time. They offered me two glasses of brandy, one glass of tea,
bread, cheese and chocolate. As I left they gave me chocolate for my
friends, which I split up and distributed. After chatting a bit I went
to bed.

7 March 1916 Tuesday
Today was aggravating. Based on everyone’s decision, we sent a 
note about our needs to the Commander and had the details added by
 telephone. While we were telling stories at night a Cossack officer 
candidate - from yesterday – entered with a newspaper in his hand, 
as if he were going to give us some news. Nonsense.  Supposedly
 the Germans are helping the Austrians although they are not helping 
us…what good can come from saying such things. Foolishness, 
pettiness.

 türk esirleri sarıkamış ile ilgili görsel sonucu

8 March 1916 Wednesday
Toward midday a Russian officer came and gave us five more rubles. 
This is apparently the result of yesterday’s note. After lunch four of us
went to the market. I had my hair cut at a cost of one ruble. The 
barber shop was sort of nice but nothing special. How expensive! 
I couldn’t sleep at night so I drafted a letter to my father and translated
it into French. I lay down and slept a bit. Morning came and again I 
got up a bit early.

Supposedly the Allies Shot Enver Paşa and Four Officers

9 March 1916 Thursday
Time passes with discomfort. Food will be obtained from the 
restaurant until the end of the month. Toward evening a Cossack captain
prisoner, along with two other Cossack officer prisoners and a young, 
handsome duty officer, came to our room again. In the evening, once 
again this captain came with a map and opened it up. What nonsense! 
Supposedly the Allies shot Enver Paşa and four officers and Bitlis and 
Trabzon have fallen. Of course we didn’t believe it because it was all
lies. This captain was praising Fifth Expeditionary Force Commander 
Halil quite a bit. Today I sent the letter I wrote to my father yesterday. 
We didn’t sleep at all. Myself, Rıfkı, Fahri and Kazim chatted a bit and
then Rıfkı went to sleep. I found something to make a fire with and 
boiled tea for the three of us. Two hours before dawn we went to sleep.

10 March 1916 Friday
One of us named Mustafa went to the hospital today and stayed there. 
He’s lacking in morals and behavior but he is a Turk so may God make 
him better. Interest is low, too. Today’s duty officer was a proporşçik 
(ensign). He keeps coming to our room and talks about Armenians, in 
particular. He first said he was Greek, then Romanian but he’s 
Armenian. After drinking tea in the morning I felt the effect of 
sleeplessness and lay down until noon. At night I went to bed early.
One of us name Kazim went to the market today and heard from the 
Iranian grocer that we will be moved tomorrow.


11 March 1916 Saturday
The snow that started at five in the morning continued until evening.
I find the Russians to be quite uncouth. In particular, their customs are
very annoying. I get angry because the Russians, both officers and 
soldiers, come into our rooms without permission in a crude manner
and continually harass us. They stare at us when we eat, when we lie
down, when we sit around – in short, when we do anything. What
boorish guys. They probably don’t consider us humans. Supposedly,
Rize has fallen, too.  We didn’t believe it. Our transfer news turned 
out to be baseless. A year ago was the day  misery and calamity 
befell me so my time today passed with discomfort and thoughts.

caucas cephesi haritası 1916 ile ilgili görsel sonucu

//END of PART XVI//


Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder