2 Ocak 2019 Çarşamba

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part VI

tortum haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Fuad Bey is marching north from Badicivan, just north of
Pasinler, toward Tortum and his first encounter with the 
Russian enemy.


It’s Snowing in Badicivan

7 May 1915
I was roused early in the morning. We’re moving out so I got ready. 
The weather is bad, snow is falling and the wind is blowing. Dry places 
are now covered in white. I separated some underwear that I deemed 
extra and gave it to Major Abdullah’s son Tahsin for safekeeping in his
house. A bit later we departed Badicivan. Henceforth I’m on foot. The
thing that concerns me the most is protecting myself from the rain and
snow at night. Anyway, we walked quite a ways, scaling the hills, 
tramping along in the snow until evening when we came to a run-down
village called Kuşa. I spent the night there in a room with a stove 
outside the regimental commander’s room. Misery and calamity have
risen again to attack me. Once again, this time I’ll suffer horribly.
Must bear up.

8 May 1915
We left Kuşa in the morning and passed Kızılviran, Huzur Yaylası
and the Eğrek River, reaching Eğrek village. The whole place is run-
down. Even if there are people here there are very few of them. We’ve
settled into a room here. The weather is sunny. A bit later, upon an 
order, we moved to the saddle of Eğrek Mountain, on its eastern
flank. En route I fell into the Eğrek River. No one paid any attention.
Anyway, when we got to Eğrek’s eastern flank we pitched tents and I 
dried off. We spent the night here.

9 May 1915
The weather was icy, snowy. Based on an order, we left Eğrek’s 
eastern flank late in the afternoon. This time it started raining. I 
crossed the Eğrek River with great difficulty on the backs of the mule
keepers. We passed by Eğrek as the rain continued on and off. We’re 
walking continuously. We passed a couple more villages and reached
Beldeçor village at midnight. But what difficulty, what misery! The 
village was a ruin. We crossed the stream in front of the village with 
a lot of trouble. Again we slept in a stable. Today’s misery took its toll
on me because I have no say, no one listens to me.

10 May 1915
The weather is not bad. In the morning we departed Beldeçor and a 
bit after noon we  reached Tudan village, where we settled in. I stayed
in a foul-smelling stable again. I could hear cannons in the distance.

11 May 1915
We are in Tudan…intermittent cannon sounds…while we were at Eğrek
I got a card from my father dated 23 March. I was happy, this consoled 
me.

12 May 1915
We moved from Tudan toward evening and reached the southeastern 
flank of Karapınar after nine o’clock. We pitched tents and spent the 
night.

 kafkas cephesi kar kış ÅŸartları ile ilgili görsel sonucu

13-27 May 1915 (no entries)

28 May 1915
We’ve spent all this time on the southeastern flank of Karapinar. We 
lost the bell tent and stayed in a portable tent. I got the boots of Şevki,
the Aide-de-Camp. I’m having lots of problems with the food – there’s
only bread, the food is terrible. I had some bread sent from Erzurum, 
as well as sugar and some other things. Expensive. I got a card from my
father. He will send me ten mecidiye (two liras) each month. While I 
was in Badicivan I received twenty mecidiye (4 liras). I’m very grateful
to my father. He’s sending newspapers too. The weather is terrible. 
Lots of hail and rain. The landscape is all white. Intermittant snow 
and rain.

29 May 1915
It was raining. At mid-day we moved the headquarters a bit forward 
toward the north-eastern flank of Karapınar. Another clerk came, 
named Ilyas Hilmi.

30 May-6 June 1915 (no entries)

7 June 1915
Today is calm but of course the misery is aggravating.

Battle With the Enemy Begins

8 June 1915
We started to exchange fire with the enemy.

9 June 1915
Firing continued throughout the day.

10 June 1915
The enemy attacked fiercely, wanting to split the front. The division 
and the regiment retreated. Together with the heavy equipment, I left
Karapınar’s east and northeast flanks…later (quite a while later) we 
passed through Tortum (Tuhah) town. Lots of trees here. Many things
came alive in my mind. Later I didn’t see any trees anywhere…we 
passed a village where I saw my artillery classmate Lieutenant Sabri
of Erzincan and we talked. Toward evening we set up the headquarters
in a place  out in the open and spent the night. Our regiment was 
holding a mountain 2800 meters high.

kafkas cephesi askerler ile ilgili görsel sonucu

11 June 1915
At mid-day we left here and went to Devre Mountain where the 
regiment was. The commander of the 82nd Regiment had died here.
The name of this place is Hüseyin Bey Hill. Again we spent
the night out in the open. It was cold. The enemy’s attack ceased, 
diminishing toward evening. Then it was over.

12 June 1915
As the enemy retreated toward midnight we too left Devre Mountain. 
We came to a stream-like place behind the eastern flank of Karapınar
(in the east). Here we pitched tents. We passed through the battlefield 
where the Russian dead, most of them stripped naked, were lying.
Empty cartridges and shells.  Doomsday. Somewhat  frightening. The
regiment advanced. No firing could be heard until we made contact 
with the enemy.

13 June 1915
Toward mid-day the regiment was massed together in the rear of 
Karapınar’s eastern flank and then moved to the south of the Vilhas 
Plateau, where we rested. The 82nd Regiment had nearly been 
decimated in the Devre Mountain battle, its soldiers’ numbers reduced.
We pitched tents here and then tramped through a lot of snow-covered
places while passing through the mountains.

14-15 June  1915 (no entries)


//END of PART VI//



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder