16 Ocak 2019 Çarşamba

TNT Matchbox Diary: A Turkish POW in Russian Prison Camp (1915-1918)/Part XII

//Ed. Note: On 16 February 1916, Fuad Bey was captured
by Russian Cossacks at Gez village, just west of Erzurum 
city.//

russian advance on erzurum 1916 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
//Ed. Note: the 'Gez' listed at number 11 above is different 
from the 'Gez' where Fuad Bey was captured, which was
just west of Erzurum city.  Coincidenally, though, Fuad
Bey's last days before capture were spent in the area of
the Gez listed at number 11 on the chart above.//



15 February  1916 Tuesday

Sunrise and the weather was fine but there was a bitter coldness
in the air.  We sat in the earthwork for quite a while.  With my 
wounded leg I went to the top of the hill to reconnoiter and observe 
the enemy. I waited for a bit but there was nothing, I didn’t see 
anything so I returned. As I was coming back my foot caught on a 
rock.

Once again I fell on my aching foot. Again it started to hurt badly. It
was noon. Enemy cannons began to bombard our trenches with full 
force. We lost 40 dead and a number were wounded. Toward late 
afternoon an estimated force of 10,000 Russian infantry were 
advancing across the plain and toward Uzun Ahmed. We waited a 
while. The vanguard and flank guard were advancing straight for 
Kayili  village and our trenches and on the order of the commander 
I came to the Yıkılgan. Unfortunately, our fortress cannons did not 
affect the enemy at all. Especially the ones near us. At this time 
Doctor Ahmed Nuri, Reserve Hamdi, Second Battalion Commader 
Captain Ahmed Hamdi remained up above.  Per today’s order, if the
army withdraws and if we come under enemy pressure and our 
trenches are taken we were to retreat via the Erzurum-Yarımca-
Sakalıkesik road. 

It was just about sunset.  Leaving veterinarian Nafiz at Yıkılgan, 
I took the muler Salih and the stoker Tahir with me and set out. The 
old broken-down horse I was riding puttered along.  A bit after,
we were passing by Topalak redoubt. The heavy cannons were here. 
The ammunition was being burned and the cannons destroyed.  This 
spectacle affected me very badly because Erzurum was living its last 
minutes. The sun had completely set. We too came to Topalak redoubt
where I saw Cisr Mustafa Paşa’lı Riza and Heavy Artilleryman 
Mumtaz of the 50th Regiment. 

destruction of erzurum 1916 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
               The destruction of Erzurum, February 1916.

We were continuing to move. The fires in Erzurum were showing 
themselves from time to time.  The poor city was falling into Russian 
hands again. We entered the city at the Kars gate. I waited for the 
regiment at a place called ‘mahalle başı’ (neighborhood gate). The 
time was after the last prayer hour. I waited quite a while but
I didn’t see the regiment or anything else. I didn’t see any sense in 
waiting any longer  because I was afraid that with the worthless horse 
I’d be left behind.  The situation in Erzurum was very bad. Both the 
soldiers and the populace were looting the markets. All the stores had
been broken into. I left the city via the İstanbul gate and bid Erzurum
my permanent farewells.  Since I didn’t know the short cut to
the Yarımcı road and since I couldn’t find anyone who knew it, I 
decided to head toward Gez. The weather was extremely cold, like ice, 
and the wind was howling. Frozen to the bone and with great difficulty
I reached Gez. It was just about morning and we went into a place to 
rest a bit. 

 gez erzurum haritası ile ilgili görsel sonucu
Fuad Bey was looking for the Yarımca road but ended up 
in Gez, left center on map.


16 February  1916 Wednesday 

After a short rest at Gez, I started to ask around about the Yarımca road 
but although there were quite a few cavalry officers about, I spent a full
two hours in this effort. Unfortunately, no one knew about the road and
they couldn’t give me directions. Finally I found out from a cavalry 
soldier from that area and immediately set out.

The plain was completely covered with more than half a meter of snow 
so we followed a path that had already been cleared.  About five minutes
out of Gez I saw that there was a full detachment moving up ahead and 
I was pleased to see this. I thought that this was our regiment  and I was
 heartened by the prospect that even if it wasn’t our regiment I could 
reach it and join it.  There was about one or one and a half kilometers
between us and this detachment. Because there was a light fog the 
village couldn’t be seen. I advanced by following this detachment by 
sight and on horseback  as I was passing through the waves of  the 
terrain.  I moved ahead quite a bit. The village became visible and we 
approached it. Since  it was passing around the rear of the village I
started to lose sight of the detachment.  I was moving ahead on my 
lame horse, coming nearer to the village, hoping and wishing to join up 
with that detachment.  

With me were five or ten stragglers from the regiment and a cavalryman.
Again with the effect of the cold, I was daydreaming on my horse when
 just then I felt  the lame, lazy horse stop.  At this moment two 
cavalrymen appeared at my side.  And one of them took the rifle of our 
cavalryman while the other one approached me and started to search me.
The two cavalrymen were talking to each other in a foreign language. 
right then trembled and fell into despair because these were 
Cossacks.  I was now a prisoner.

cossacks erzurum 1916 ile ilgili görsel sonucu
                                     Russian Cossacks

At this time we approached to about 200 meters from the village and 
I saw that two columns of Cossacks to the left of us were heading 
toward the village.  There was no chance of resistance . The horse was 
no good, my foot was in bad shape…captivity was certain.  Henceforth
we were prisoners.  The Cossacks rounded up the prisoners  they
had taken in one place and they brought us there.  They took the rifle 
mechanisms and bullets from the soldiers, as well as my revolver, 
money purse and some other things, and put them away.  They weren’t 
threatening us though.  

In any event, we spoke here with Captain Şakir of the 51st Regiment 
who had been taken prisoner.  After I was captured I saw that a whole
detachment scattered and fought with the Cossacks.  Apparently,
this  was the 51st regiment. The bullets they fired were coming all the
 way to where we were. İn fact, one or two soldiers were wounded.  
After the regiment was completely rounded up the Cossacks brought 
one of them to their commander. At this time, fearing that their 
commander would take my notebooks the Cossacks hadn’t already 
taken, I buried them in the snow along the Yarımca-Erzurum road at 
a distance of 200, 1000 meters from the village. Limping all the way, 
I traversed this distance. But a Cossack soldier noticed the notebook 
along with some other papers I buried and gave them to his commander.
The commander, though, rejected them and gave them to me. 

In any event, the commander wrote his report and, mounting us on horses, 
sent us to Erzurum. We went as far as Tayatlu on horseback and then 
walked. The Russian were looting. Erzurum was in a sorry state anyway 
because of the fire. After a while they put us soldiers in a filthy place 
and a Russian officer – he must have been Armenian – promised us he’d
find another place for us and he left. We waited and waited but nothing
happened as midnight passed. Finally, we too went in with the soldiers 
and lay down. For some reason, even though I hadn’t been able to eat 
anything since morning, I didn’t feel hungry.

//END of PART XII//



Hiç yorum yok:

Yorum Gönder