7 Temmuz 2018 Cumartesi
TNT History Archives: Fortress Defied Cossacks But Not Cows
türkçe links to original Turkish article
(Vatan Newspaper, 7 July 2018)
"Bring on the Cossacks!"
Rumeli Feneri Kalesi (Rumeli Lighthouse Fortress), at the juncture
of the Bosphorus and the Black Sea in Sarıyer, Istanbul, was built
by Ottoman architects as the first defense against Russian Cossacks
in 1759, although previous structures there date back to the times
of Genovese traders.
Unfortunately, the fortress has been abandoned to its fate, with
graffiti covering the walls and cows roaming around within (!). A
restoration project was agreed to in 2004. Prof. Dr. Kemal Kutgün
Eyüpgiller, from the Architecture Faculty at Istanbul University, was
an advisor to the firm that won the restoration contact: "problems
between the parties put a stop to the restoration project and in the
ensuing 15 years nothing has been done."
Pretty swanky cow stable.
Dr. Eyüpgiller added that "since local people can easily access the
fortress, they've removed stones and written graffiti. The entrance
area, in particular, has been badly damaged and natural effects like
wind and waves are partially to blame for this."